Thursday, August 25, 2005

Gods and Monsters

The mythology of Xrox is bursting out my skull, fully clothed and screaming hungry for vengeance. I haven't been able to work on anything else for two weeks now. Which is okay. Rob has the script for Xrox three and has started layouts. I do owe James three pages of layouts, but he isn't exactly bugging me for them. I was going to start my slashdotpops next. I guess it's only fair to give myself a week or so to acclimated to my new schedule. So far it's kicking my ass.
This mythology is fantastic! It's so many levels of the story in one simple form. That's what I love about archetypal theory in the first place. I'm giving a taste of a culture first hand, the attempt to express the Mystery of being alive in a living world through the particulars of a cultural aesthetic. At the same time I'm giving a meta narrative to the story itself, which is something I wind up doing with all my work. The main story takes place within the greater context of these fantastic and powerful beings, who are but characters themselves. I'm also exploring how myths and legends come into being and grow. And it's helping me sort out a symbolic language based on my own ideas of archetypal forces and concepts (masculinity, feminity, the cycle of nature) that's built on the stories that I've loved since the fourth grade. The flavor is, as I mentioned, an approximation of Anglo-European and popularized notions of Celtic culture. I don't claim any of it is historical, just ideal and personal. I mean, there's a huge heaping cup of Gygax sprinkled on the top!
I have the idea of doing a mythic tales book, story book illustrations, digest sized. I'm envisioning it as Artesia meets Sandman illustrated by Windsor McCay or Mucha. Well see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home