Thursday, June 30, 2005

Vacuosity at the Speed of Thought

Did a little celebrating yesterday, in case you didn't notice.
Amazing how I work and work yet never seem much closer to being finished. The speed of thought is much faster than my pencil or my ass (especially my ass. I think my ass is one of the few inert objects in the universe). I continue to have new ideas while the current ideas still remain unfinished on the draft board. I need to hire very cheap but very driven labor.
It seems I've a bit of the PT Barnum in me, along with everything else. I get these great ideas on how to promote comics. One could say it's dangerously close to being manipulative marketing techniques. I like to think I am making comics fun again.
More and more I move closer and closer to the idea of the "Art Book", the comic as high end object of value, either through their quality and quantity of material or through their rarity as hand made objects. However, I also have the love of what I call "slashdotpop" comics. Tiny bite sized morsels of pop culture. Small and portable, they slip into the pocket or the book bag, they pass from hand to hand, they cost $1 or less, or are even free, and offer the same ephemeral whiz bang as gum or candy.
Of course, the borders of the Fandom Empire runs in both directions. Our center is everywhere and our circumference is everywhere.
I would think that such a mini comic would be easy to crank out. Small in size, modest in form, low in cost...but, alas, no.
But fear not! I am calling upon the lost magics of my fellow Mages James West, Stuart Sparks, and Rob "The Luddite" Crabtree. Together we have spells and charms that can shape the very nature of reality itself!
There will be a mini! There will be mini's like you wouldn't believe!!
And I just now decided to call them, officially, Slashdotpop! comics.
I think you're going to like this.

3 Comments:

Blogger James V. West said...

I love the idea of the little pocket-sized comic. A mini. A little comic with a big ole punch to it. Something that comes out and comes out and keeps coming out and you find comfort in it, as well as some fast, furious, kick-ass reading. Jim Coon's DEAD END is like that. Each issue is a mere 8 pages, digest sized, and $1.00.

8:02 PM, July 01, 2005  
Blogger Matt D. said...

Slashdotpop! I LOVE that name! Seriously, it rocks!

I'm really starting to dig mini-minis. I'm getting tired of digest-size and don't want to touch the full-size comics (it's like tapping a whore; everyone's done it, big deal). BUT a mini-mini...hmmm...also, I'm toying with poster size comics. A little secret: A future Attic Wit will be a poster with a complete story on it. Ambitious, yes, but screw it, I'm the boss here! My will be done! (Unless the little one starts crying; then and I gotta go change his diaper....)

4:12 PM, July 02, 2005  
Blogger C. Clark-Praxis said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence on Slashdotpop. I love poster sized as well and plan on doing one of those, but that's way in the future.
I saw some old Giant Sized Captain Marvel's today in a thrift store. I can't believe I got all tight fisted! THey were only $7 each! Would it have killed me to buy one!?! I need to go back after the holiday.

4:02 PM, July 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home