Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Memory Lane

I went through my old comics today and roughly inventory the ones I am going to get rid of. Strange experience. I'm the sentimental type, you know, and I've loved comics as long as I can remember (literally: as far back as I have memory in this incarnation as a human being I have a memory of loving comics), yet looking at 32 issues of Alpha Flight was...disconcerting. I don't even feel the ephemeral thrill of pop culture from those comics. I don't have any inclination to peruse the art again, even the John Byrne issues, and I can't even remember what it was I liked about them in the first place. They just seem silly, superficial, shallow stories with minimal entertainment value. They don't have the whimsy and stylization of old Fantastic Four's or Spider-Man or contemporary 80's books like DNAgents or The Elementals. It's sad to think that not only an art form but a genre could not only produce but subsist on such banal tripe for so long. It's not just that particular title, it's the bulk of the comics in my collection; Avengers, Defenders, X-men, West Coast Avengers. It seems it only brand loyalty and habit that motivated me to buy some of these titles. I mean, the West Coast Avengers? What did I see the West Coast Avengers?
I have no qualms about chucking so much of it.
What I'm keeping is the Marvel Universe's and Who's Who (DC), Crisis on Infinite Earths, The Power Pack (natch), but that's it, I think.
I'm even getting rid of tons of issues of Transformers. Sure, the first 12 or so issues were good, but I haven't had the urge to reread them in 15 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home