Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Bookworkmin' it

I love books. I'm not sure what it is. Something about the physicality of books, how they appeal to all senses, how they have mass as an art object, how interactive they are, how playfully. The way we can dive into them, literally, unlike a painting or a sculpture (normally). Making books is actually fun. I tore my pages down to 10x141/2 yesterday and trimmed the pages evenly and punched my holes to be sewn tomorrow. Sewing, though tricky, doesn't really take that long and now I can easily see myself making multiple books someday. Cover are pretty easy, just make sure there's no lumps is the tricky part, I think.
My final project, however, is going to involve a bit of impositions. That will be probably be the hardest part, because I'll need to have my signatures worked out before I print out the pages. Need to find some open time to draw. Sunday night is my next block of open time. Can you believe that?
I still want to explore more altered books. My altered book project just barely scratched the surface of what could be done with the techniques. There are great books on the subject and I need one (or two) because I otherwise wouldn't know how to do these things. They just wouldn't occur to me naturally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home