Sunday, June 12, 2005

What time is it?

Apparently, Jagged Little Pill by Alannis Morrisette was released ten years ago. I thought you should know.
People say I harp on too much about time. They attribute it to my obsession (read:neurosis) about my age. That's partially true. I doubt that time frames would have the same significance if not for my unique perspective. However, let's forget about age for a moment and just look at culture.
When someone says "The 80's" or "The 50's", think about what that brings to mind, all the fads, fashions, political and cultural shifts that spring to mind. Each decade is an era, an epoch, that rises and falls, brackets neatly by a year beginning in zero and one ending in nine. Generations of people are lumped together and defined by decades.
A decade, friends and lovers, is ten years. That means whatever paradigmical shift or sense of scale that the phrase "a decade" brings to mind, if any, just happened. Beginning with Jagged Little Pill and ending last Thursday.

6 Comments:

Blogger James V. West said...

Personally, and I know you know this, I measure time based on my high school years. I don't know why that is. I graduated in '89. Everything pre-89 is old, everything post-89 is new. Including Jagged Little Pill. Still seems "new" to me. So does Nirvana and virtually every band from the 90s. Anything that existed before I "grew up" is old.

And don't even ask me about stuff from just 5 years ago. It hasn't entered my radar yet.

7:31 AM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger C. Clark-Praxis said...

Seems like you live in the chronological dessert, my friend. So basically you split the past twenty years into two groups, pre-89 and post-89? Talk about generalizations!

1:26 PM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger C. Clark-Praxis said...

The point isn't really about Jagged Little Pill (there's is no Jagged Little Pill, no Alannis Morissette) but about an entire epoch coming to an end last Thursday.
Of course, this sort of thing happens all the time.

4:38 PM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger C. Clark-Praxis said...

Nostalgic melancholy. We've traded in Nine Inch Nails and Rage Against the Machine for Radiohead and Modeat Mouse.

5:01 PM, June 16, 2005  
Blogger James V. West said...

I've never listend to "Modeat Mouse". I've heard Modest Mouse a few times.

I have a sucker punch coming to me, I just know it.

2:40 PM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger C. Clark-Praxis said...

"With age comes wisdom and whatever mind desires."

Thanks for reminding me!!
Age, here I come!!

4:56 PM, June 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home